3 Things You Should and 3 Things You Shouldn’t Invest In.
When planning a home painting project, you need to know that there are some ways to save some money on materials; however, there are also some things that are worth investing in. As a painting contractor, I have plenty of experience in this field of work, and I have several tips that will help you do an efficient and affordable painting job.
3 things that are worth investing in:
- Paint. We recommend you invest in better quality paints because they are the most important thing in the whole project. Better paints produce better results, it’s that simple. The higher the price, the better the qualities of the paint – more durable, stain resistant, washable, water-resistant, and so on.
- Surface preparation. The one thing that can ruin a good wall painting job is a defect on the wall. So, if a certain wall has some cracks, dents, uneven parts, or any other defects, we recommend you call a residential painting service provider and have him fix and straighten the walls.
- Quality tools and safety gear. If you’re doing the work on your own, then we suggest you equip yourself accordingly and make sure that everyone is safe. We suggest you keep your family out of the working area and invest in some reliable ladders, along with some plastic sheets to cover the surrounding area.
3 things that you can save some money on:
- Colours. If you choose to paint a room in two colours, you will need to buy at least a bucket of paint for each colour. Sometimes, the paint does not get used to the fullest, and that can cost a lot. So, if you want to be more efficient in your spending on paints, then buy just one colour of paint, and calculate how much you’re going to need in advance.
- The colours again. If you need to change the colour of a certain wall, it will probably take several coats of paint and a lot of time. However, if you want to refresh and improve the existing colour of the wall, then you can do it with just one coat of paint.
- Prepare the place yourself. If you hire a painting contractor, they may charge you for the preparation of the working area.
Why Should I Hire a Painting Contractor?
Almost everyone can apply a coat of paint to a wall; however, very few people really enjoy painting building interiors or exteriors. Usually, most people choose to do the painting on their own in order to save some money on service providers. It’s a lot cheaper but if you have no experience in it, you risk doing a poor job and having to repeat the whole thing all over. Calling a residential painting service provider to help you with that has several advantages:
For starters, a skilled and experienced painting contractor can handle anything you ask of him and do a better job at it than any amateur. The quality of their services is a painter’s biggest asset and advantage. Painters know what needs to be done in almost any situation that you may encounter. Furthermore, they have the tools and the equipment to accomplish it.
Also, a painting contractor can do it a lot faster. That’s because they are trained to perform quality services as quickly as possible. This is only possible with experience and quality painting equipment, and they have both. So, if you want quick results, don’t do the interior painting yourself! Hire a professional instead!
The biggest benefit of hiring a specialist is the comfort of knowing that you don’t have to lift a finger. It can save you a lot of time, efforts, and possibly even some expenses. Also, a residential painting service provider is not likely to leave a mess behind. They keep the mess to a minimum, so you don’t have to do anything.
How to Find An Experienced Painter
When your residence is in need of painting service, you can’t just hire an amateur. You need someone who has qualification, experience and dedication. However, in today’s market, it is very easy to get lost in the competition and end up with someone you don’t like working with. This is why S & B Painting Company has prepared for you a couple of facts which will help you find the right painter for your project.
You can always ask the specialist you are interested in, what types of materials would he like to use in a certain situation. Depending on your project, the variety of products which can be used is vast, and there is a good chance that a specialist will know most of them. If the painter impresses you with his knowledge, you are most probably working with an expert.
The real painting professionals are capable of delivering both an external and an internal service. There is a significant difference in the work methods used in each type of service, and only a qualified specialist will be able to know them. Whether it is walls, ceiling, or siding, an expert painter will know what to do in order to paint them properly.
After you have informed the painter in question about the dimensions of the area you want painting, ask how long it will take for its completion. Someone with experience will tell you almost immediately, while the amateur will come up with a clever excuse in order to hide his lack of professional ability.
A Painter’s Advice on Doing a Painting Project Cheaply
If your home needs a good renovation and that includes a thorough painting job, then one way to do it is by calling a painter or a remodeler. However, if you’re doing all of that on a budget, then you might want to do some of the work on your own. Also, you may want to cut down on the expenses for tools and supplies. There are some things you need to spend less on, and other things that are worth every dime.
So, here is what you should invest in:
- The quality of the paint is probably the most crucial thing for the success of your project. That’s why it’s worth investing in it. The better the paint, the longer it will last, and the better it will look. Also, some of the more modern paints have pretty good water-resistance and increased durability. Furthermore, quality paints need less coating in order to achieve quality results. So, with just a few coats, you can be done with the painting and save yourself a lot of time and money.
- Another good investment is in wall preparation. Fixing wall imperfections and preparing it for painting can help you achieve better results.
- Painting can be a tiring and time-consuming activity. That’s why we recommend people to get quality tools and equipment. Why stand in various uncomfortable positions all day long, when you can get a ladder and a quality roller with an extendable handle. Also, as a painter, I recommend you get plenty of plastic sheets to help you keep the mess to a minimum.
- When it comes to saving money, the first thing you can do is use very few colours. Purchasing various buckets of paint can be expensive, and you’re bound to leave most of it unused. If you use one or two colours, you can estimate and calculate your expenses better.
- Another way to save money on the amount of paint is by painting with the same colours. Instead of changing the colour of the room, simply repeat it. It will take just one coat, and it will be very cost-efficient.
- Lastly, before the painting starts, the room needs to be cleared out. All furniture must be moved out of the way and the floors must be covered with plastic sheets. You can pay a painter to do that, or you can save the money and do the preparations yourself.